Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My workout story and philosophy

Hey friends, things have been non-stop around here as you can tell from my somewhat sparse postings of late. I missed my workout today but in my mind, I'm picturing myself working out. Does that count? Oh, well, whatever but since we're on the topic, I thought I'd share my story of how I got started working out.


Up till about 8, maybe 9 years ago, exercise wasn't in my genes. Six teams of horses couldn't get me to lift a finger, let alone drag myself to the gym which is a 15-minute drive away on a good day. But I'd just left my job at the time and I had some time to kill and I thought, heck, let's see if there's anything fun to do at the gym, and basically, I just never looked back.

It still brings a smile to my face when I think of my noob days when I didn't even know how to work the treadmill and had to ask for help. So embarrassing! Well, walking was fun for a while. I progressed from km to km and I was feeling like a hero by the time I could do 3 km at a stretch. I started brisk walking but never got into running. That's so not my thing.

And that's been my philosophy, pretty much. If I don't like an exercise, I won't do it. There's lots of workouts to choose from, so I figure why push myself to do something I loathe or that isn't fun? Personal trainers may not agree but that's how I roll.

Speaking of which, a gym buddy of mine signed up with a personal trainer which made me contemplate the idea. Should I? Could I? tolerate the bashing her trainer was giving her? Umm, nah, I'm not much for a strict, structured routine or for paying someone to kick my butt. I'd rather kick my own butt, thanks, it's cheaper LOL.

These days, I do a bit of everything. A bit of yoga, a bit of pilates, a bit of strength training, whatever. I get bored easily so I'm always changing up my workouts and if something looks interesting, I might just try it. I kinda like to surprise myself and keep my muscles guessing. So on any given day, I'm just doing whatever springs to mind.

I love working out, it's fun and the endorphin rush is well worth every drop of sweat. It makes me feel like a champ every. single. time. So tomorrow, I'm getting back to the grind. Fo'shizzle. It's go, go, go!! No more excuses. End of mental workout.

Okay, your turn. Do you work out or want to? What got you started? What's your workout philosophy? Would you hire a personal trainer? Can't wait to hear what you have to say.

5 comments:

  1. I joined a gym and began working out regularly about 10 years ago. I too have tried a lot of different things, but like the zumba and turbo kick classes the best. I put my membership on hold for two months when I had foot surgery last summer. I have to say it made me really lazy. I am back on the exercise bike only, but have stopped in to visit my aerobics friends. Some even called while I was out to see how I was doing. They help motivate me to get back into things. So I agree variety, finding something you like to do and a gym buddy are all great motivators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I could afford to hire a personal trainer I definitely would! I found going to the gym didn't work for me, but I like to do lots of exercise videos at home and jogging, luckily my weight has been quite stable so far in my life but I like to skip with a jump rope and jog to keep fit mainly, as well as a few cheeky weights here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SWG
    Zumba looks interesting but I've not quite found the time to sign up for any weekly group workouts.

    @Hannah
    Having the freedom to do your own thing, that suits a busy mom like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was designing my own workout routine that focused on slow introduction of new reps in order to build up my body's tolerance. But somehow I forgot about it and ended up doing a 30 day squat challenge with a fellow blogger. How did that happen? I have no idea. But believe it or not, I'm actually loving the squat challenge!

    -Beth
    www.littleworldcalledwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Beth
    The 30-day squat challenge is totally cool, love it.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :) Thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon.