Said Russets were starting to look a little sad and wrinkly so I thought hey, let's make some loaded potato skins. They're a big hit with my kids and they really do go fast.
They're really easy to make too. Here's how I made my version.
- 6 Russet potatoes, halved
- 6 slices back bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, diced (optional, we just happen to love onions)
- cheddar and mozzarella cheese (feel free to use your favorites)
- green/spring onions, finely chopped
- salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
- Scrub the potatoes really well and rub some oil on them, skin side.
- Microwave on high for10-12 minutes, or till softened but not too soft since you're going to be baking them later.
- Scoop out the center of each potato leaving a ring around the skin to form a bowl.
- Mash up the potato centers in another bowl. Add bacon and onions. Season to taste. Mix well.
- Scoop a portion of the mixture into each potato skin.
- Top with spring onions, and cheese however generously you like.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or till cheeses are melted to a beautiful light brown.
- Dig in!!
Do you like potato skins? Where do you usually have them? Have you ever made your own? If not, you really have to try making these.